Places, Southside Stories

Museum Devoted to Firefighting

Al Ginoble of South Williamsport was raised in a house that served as the fire house for Citizens No.2 Fire Company in South Williamsport from the late 1800s to 1909, so it seemed natural that he would develop a passion for the fire service and firemen. At age 18 he became an active firefighter for… Continue reading Museum Devoted to Firefighting

Events, Southside Stories

Mummer’s Parade Older Than Once Believed

Organizers of the annual South Williamsport Mummer’s Parade are reviewing a program acquired at a flea market in the Reading area that shows that were was at least one other South Williamsport Mummer’s Parade before 1945. “Ed Fry, who is a former South Side resident and who puts several antique fire trucks in our parade was… Continue reading Mummer’s Parade Older Than Once Believed

Places, Southside Stories

Arch Street Bridge Is Actually DuBoistown Bridge

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation held an informational public meeting on November 19 at the DuBoistown Fire Hall to discuss the future of the Greater Williamsport area’s oldest bridge spanning the Susquehanna. They no doubt reviewed its history, but what is its history and its background. The bridge that leads from Newberry to DuBoistown is… Continue reading Arch Street Bridge Is Actually DuBoistown Bridge

People

Women Honors Vietnam Vet Classmates

Returning Vietnam veterans were not given the honor or respect that they deserved upon returning to this country after their time “In Country.” One South Williamsport woman has made it a personal mission to honor of each of her classmates from South Williamsport High School’s Class of 1965 who served in Vietnam by embroidering each… Continue reading Women Honors Vietnam Vet Classmates

Places

Armstrong Township: A Sum of Its Parts

Armstrong Township is the only township in Lycoming County that has had two boroughs carved from it. DuBoistown DuBoistown was the first of the two boroughs established. Located at the mouth of Mosquito Creek, it is a on tract of land once owned by Samuel Boone, brother of Hawkins Boone, a martyred Indian fighter and cousin… Continue reading Armstrong Township: A Sum of Its Parts

Places

The Dixie BBQ

Jim and Gladys Casey, a Pennsylvania-Nebraska couple were the owners of the Dixie BBQ in South Williamsport from 1938 until 1972. The restaurant closed permanently when Jim became disabled. As young as 15, Jim began a career that led him across the country from Nebraska to Canandaigua, New York to Muncy, Pennsylvania and eventually South… Continue reading The Dixie BBQ

Groups

Christ United Methodist Church

A United Brethren in Christ Conference in 1885 recommended the opening of a mission in South Williamsport. By 1887, a West Southern Avenue lot was purchased and a church completed by May, 1889. However, the historical flood of 1899 devastated the building. Remodeled and rededicated in 1903 by “unselfish and untiring” effort, the church took… Continue reading Christ United Methodist Church