Places, Southside Stories

The Community House in South Williamsport

In August of 1926, Luther and Mable Larson sold a plot of land on the north side of Southern Avenue at the foot of Sidney Street to the South Williamsport School District for a sum of $3000. In January of 1927, T. R. Adams headed a committee conducting a house to house canvas in the… Continue reading The Community House in South Williamsport

News, Southside Stories

Preserving History on the Southside

By Scott N. Lowery In the years preceding her passing several years ago longtime South Williamsport resident and Webb Weekly columnist Rosemary Neidig was engaged in a literary project to write a book encompassing the history of the community she loved so well. While she was never able to complete that endeavor, the subject of… Continue reading Preserving History on the Southside

Groups, People, Southside Stories

South Williamsport Lions Club

The South Williamsport Lions Club formed in 1946 with 52 chartered members, many of whom were prominent South Williamsport business owners and leaders, well-known in the the community. The Club sponsored their first Little League team in the spring of 1948. This team played their games on the field located next to the former American… Continue reading South Williamsport Lions Club

Places, Southside Stories

South Williamsport Schools

Prior to the incorporation of the Boroughs of DuBoistown and South Williamsport, the area from Sylvan Dell to Nisbet encompassed the Townships of Armstrong and Susquehanna. When the Boroughs were incorporated the ownership of the schools within their boundaries was transferred to newly created school districts. The following are photos and a brief narrative on… Continue reading South Williamsport Schools

Places, Southside Stories

Museum Devoted to Firefighting

Al Ginoble of South Williamsport was raised in a house that served as the fire house for Citizens No.2 Fire Company in South Williamsport from the late 1800s to 1909, so it seemed natural that he would develop a passion for the fire service and firemen. At age 18 he became an active firefighter for… Continue reading Museum Devoted to Firefighting

Groups, Southside Stories

Mountaineer Hall of Fame Honors Distinguished Grads

South Williamsport High Area School has had its share of distinguished and accomplished graduates. In a move to recognize some of these distinguished graduates a Mountaineer Hall of Fame was established. The Hall of Fame was started in February 2013 as a project of the High School's National Honor Society.  The objective was to recognize… Continue reading Mountaineer Hall of Fame Honors Distinguished Grads

Events, Southside Stories

Mummer’s Parade Older Than Once Believed

Organizers of the annual South Williamsport Mummer’s Parade are reviewing a program acquired at a flea market in the Reading area that shows that were was at least one other South Williamsport Mummer’s Parade before 1945. “Ed Fry, who is a former South Side resident and who puts several antique fire trucks in our parade was… Continue reading Mummer’s Parade Older Than Once Believed

Events, Southside Stories

South Williamsport Community Spring Fling

It's a day of fun, food, crafts and music and entertainment, when the annual South Williamsport Spring Fling is held at the South Williamsport Community Recreation Complex on East Central Avenue. “The Spring Fling is a great opportunity for the people of South Williamsport and surrounding areas to gather as a community and have a… Continue reading South Williamsport Community Spring Fling

Events, Southside Stories

Little League World Series Milestone

The year 2008 was a milestone Little League World Series for Howard J. Lamade Stadium. It was the 50th Little League World Series to be played at Lamade. According to the 2008 Little League World Series Media Guide, the field, built in 1959 for the World Series, was originally called Howard J. Lamade Memorial Field.… Continue reading Little League World Series Milestone