Organizers of the annual South Williamsport Mummer’s Parade are reviewing a program acquired at a flea market in the Reading area that shows that were was at least one other South Williamsport Mummer’s Parade before 1945. “Ed Fry, who is a former South Side resident and who puts several antique fire trucks in our parade was… Continue reading Mummer’s Parade Older Than Once Believed
It's a day of fun, food, crafts and music and entertainment, when the annual South Williamsport Spring Fling is held at the South Williamsport Community Recreation Complex on East Central Avenue. “The Spring Fling is a great opportunity for the people of South Williamsport and surrounding areas to gather as a community and have a… Continue reading South Williamsport Community Spring Fling
The year 2008 was a milestone Little League World Series for Howard J. Lamade Stadium. It was the 50th Little League World Series to be played at Lamade. According to the 2008 Little League World Series Media Guide, the field, built in 1959 for the World Series, was originally called Howard J. Lamade Memorial Field.… Continue reading Little League World Series Milestone
Who knew that an idea generated at a simple neighborhood party in DuBoistown in 1957 would give rise to one of this area’s most special and enduring Christmastime institutions? That special institution is “Candy Cane Lane, located on Sumner Street and Spring Street in the borough of DuBoistown. Candy Cane Lane was born in a… Continue reading Candy Cane Lane in DuBoistown
The Community House, which was located on the north side of Southern Avenue at the foot of Sydney Street. On April, 1928, an Industrial Exhibit of 18 companies was held in the Community House, the first undertaking of this kind, to celebrate Community Week. The Community House was located on the north side of Southern Avenue… Continue reading Community Week at Community House
The South Williamsport Mummers’ Parade began on 10/26/1928, when a three division parade started at 7:30 p.m. The route followed Junction Street (Riverside Drive), Southern Avenue, Howard Street, Central Avenue, Market Street and Southern Avenue to the Community House. The parade continues today, sponsored by the Williamsport Area Mummers', Inc. in the borough of South Williamsport, PA.
In May 1889, the Johnstown Pa. Flood has been remembered for “the worst flood of all time” but in the Williamsport area, the rains fell steadily in absolute torrents from Thursday through daylight Saturday, filling streams and as the river kept rising, the lower streets were flooded where Williamsport’s major industry and railroads were submerged.… Continue reading South Williamsport Floods