News, Southside Stories

Preserving History on the Southside

By Scott N. Lowery In the years preceding her passing several years ago longtime South Williamsport resident and Webb Weekly columnist Rosemary Neidig was engaged in a literary project to write a book encompassing the history of the community she loved so well. While she was never able to complete that endeavor, the subject of… Continue reading Preserving History on the Southside

People

Billman and Burlingame

By Scott N. Lowery Mention of the names Billman and Burlingame may conjure up thoughts of a railroad or law firm, but although they are neither the respective family names are firmly imbedded in the early formation of the South Williamsport community. Samuel Billman was a descendent of Hans Bielman who first arrived in America… Continue reading Billman and Burlingame

Groups, People, Southside Stories

South Williamsport Lions Club

The South Williamsport Lions Club formed in 1946 with 52 chartered members, many of whom were prominent South Williamsport business owners and leaders, well-known in the the community. The Club sponsored their first Little League team in the spring of 1948. This team played their games on the field located next to the former American… Continue reading South Williamsport Lions Club

Places, Southside Stories

South Williamsport Schools

Prior to the incorporation of the Boroughs of DuBoistown and South Williamsport, the area from Sylvan Dell to Nisbet encompassed the Townships of Armstrong and Susquehanna. When the Boroughs were incorporated the ownership of the schools within their boundaries was transferred to newly created school districts. The following are photos and a brief narrative on… Continue reading South Williamsport Schools