Places

Armstrong Township: A Sum of Its Parts

Armstrong Township is the only township in Lycoming County that has had two boroughs carved from it. DuBoistown DuBoistown was the first of the two boroughs established. Located at the mouth of Mosquito Creek, it is a on tract of land once owned by Samuel Boone, brother of Hawkins Boone, a martyred Indian fighter and cousin… Continue reading Armstrong Township: A Sum of Its Parts

People

Fred Plankenhorn on the Radio Dial

Remember the days of sock hops, school dances and DJs spinning "hot wax"? Fred Plankenhorn did. He was right in the middle of all that, and as a teenager Plankenhorn always wanted to be a disc jockey. When he was a sophomore in high school he approached the venerable Ev Rubendall, dean of Williamsport radio… Continue reading Fred Plankenhorn on the Radio Dial

Events

Community Week at Community House

On April, 1928, an Industrial Exhibit of 18 companies was held in the Community House, the first undertaking of this kind, to celebrate Community Week. The Community House was located on the north side of Southern Avenue next to Central Grade School (originally high school). The concept of Community House began in 1926, when land was… Continue reading Community Week at Community House

Places

The Dixie BBQ

Jim and Gladys Casey, a Pennsylvania-Nebraska couple were the owners of the Dixie BBQ in South Williamsport from 1938 until 1972. The restaurant closed permanently when Jim became disabled. As young as 15, Jim began a career that led him across the country from Nebraska to Canandaigua, New York to Muncy, Pennsylvania and eventually South… Continue reading The Dixie BBQ

Events

South Williamsport Mummers’ Parade

The South Williamsport Mummers’ Parade began on 10/26/1928, when a three division parade started at 7:30 p.m. The route followed Junction Street (Riverside Drive), Southern Avenue, Howard Street, Central Avenue, Market Street and Southern Avenue to the Community House. The parade continues today, sponsored by the Williamsport Area Mummers', Inc. in the borough of South Williamsport, PA.

Events

South Williamsport Floods

In May 1889, the Johnstown Pa. Flood has been remembered for “the worst flood of all time” but in the Williamsport area, the rains fell steadily in absolute torrents from Thursday through daylight Saturday, filling streams and as the river kept rising, the lower streets were flooded where Williamsport’s major industry and railroads were submerged.… Continue reading South Williamsport Floods

Groups

The Thrill of Victory: The Mountaineers

The advent of high school football games in South Williamsport in 1907 were played at Mountain Beach, thus the birth of the Mountaineers. By 1932 and public works programs during the Great Depression, South Williamsport High School had its own stadium, along with several firsts. The stadium was the first of its kind in the… Continue reading The Thrill of Victory: The Mountaineers

People

Women’s Suffrage in Lycoming County

Among the many Lycoming County women whose names were associated with the suffrage movement of the early 1900s was Edit Fleming Allen (Mrs. Robert Fleming Allen) of South Williamsport. Unlike many women of that era, Edith chaired local suffrage meetings while she still had youngsters at home. After the death of her first husband, she… Continue reading Women’s Suffrage in Lycoming County

Groups

Citizens Fire Co. No 2

In May of 1895, Borough Council of South Williamsport place an article in the South Williamsport Star asking citizens to organize a fire company to help protect lives and property at the east end of the borough. A meeting was held on May 31, 1895 at the Main Street School Building to complete organization. Officers… Continue reading Citizens Fire Co. No 2

Groups

Christ United Methodist Church

A United Brethren in Christ Conference in 1885 recommended the opening of a mission in South Williamsport. By 1887, a West Southern Avenue lot was purchased and a church completed by May, 1889. However, the historical flood of 1899 devastated the building. Remodeled and rededicated in 1903 by “unselfish and untiring” effort, the church took… Continue reading Christ United Methodist Church